This is a place based English 100 course. Our course materials and conversations will be based and informed by the places we represent as individuals and the environment that surrounds us as students at the University of Hawaiʻi (Hawaiʻi). The ultimate goal of the course is to help students develop critical thinking, reasoning, and effective writing skills through the lens of understanding the relationship between writing/ academic discourse and place.
All required texts will be made available through Laulima.
Weekly assignments will include reading, and written responses.
There will be 4 major assignments.
- Ola ka Inoa
- Personal narrative discussing your name (given name, last name, nickname): where it comes from, what it means, its significance…
- He ali’i ka ‘aina; he kauwa ke kanaka: Wahi Pana Project
- Experiential / research based essay on a site in Hawaiʻi
- Compare and Contrast image analysis
- ʻImi Naʻauao: Research paper
- Scholarly based research project/ paper on the topic of your choice
For more information please contact the instructor.