“The arts and humanities define who we are as a people. That is their power ― to remind us of what we each have to offer, and what we all have in common. To help us understand our history and imagine our future. To give us hope in the moments of struggle and to bring us together when nothing else will.” –First Lady Michelle Obama
In the Department
- Award-winning faculty! Several of our faculty have won student-nominated awards for excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- Faculty advisors. All majors are assigned faculty advisors in their area of interest to answer their questions and to help guide them through the major.
- Unique courses with an emphasis on Hawai‘i / Asia / Pacific content
- The English Honors Program affords students a more rigorous academic experience and a chance to graduate With Honors
- Small classes – most have a maximum enrollment of 25
Bachelor of Arts in English
- 250 majors from across the nation and from a variety of countries
- 11 upper-division English courses
- All majors complete a set of common requirements to earn a Bachelor of Arts in English but are given flexibility to take courses in their specific area of interest. The Department offers courses in literary studies, cultural studies, creative writing, composition and rhetoric, and more!
Minor in English
- 5 upper-division English courses
- All minors complete a foundational course and a single author course, and three courses in their specific area of interest