Bachelor of Arts in English
Declaring the Major and Orientation
To declare English as your major, or if you declared English as your major upon admission, you are required to attend an English major orientation session. We will assign you to an English faculty advisor who will consult with you to develop a coherent program to address your interests and needs as well as the Department’s requirements. See the English Major Worksheet for major requirements.
The scheduling link for major orientations with the Undergraduate Director will be posted at the start of the Fall semester. New majors who need an earlier appointment can book an appointment with the Assistant Director through the English Minor appointment link, below.
Majors must meet with their advisor at least once a semester in November and April. Watch for an email reminder from your advisor during these months. If you do not see your English advisor, we will place a hold on your registration. For advising on general education and graduation requirements, be sure to see an advisor in The Advising Center for AH & LLL (QLC 113) at least once a year.
Online course descriptions are posted on the Department’s website every semester prior to every registration period. The descriptions are written by the instructors and provide helpful details about the courses.
Minor in English
FW and one ENG 270-273 course are prerequisites for the majority of upper-division English courses.
- ENG 320, Introduction to English Studies. This course is foundational and should be taken in the student’s first or second semester of upper-division English course work. An override is required to enroll in ENG 320; simply call the department at 956-7619 or stop by Kuykendall 402 to request an override prior to registering.
- A Single Author course (440 Single Author; 442 Chaucer; 445 Shakespeare; or 447 Milton)
- A 300-level ENG elective
- A 400-level ENG elective
- One 300 or 400-level ENG elective
When you are ready to apply for graduation, you need to complete the Verification of Academic Minor/Certificate form (available on the Advising Center’s website) and schedule an appointment to have it signed by the English Department’s Assistant Undergraduate Director. You must submit the Verification of Academic Minor/Certificate form to be awarded the minor.
Schedule an appointment to declare your minor or to have your Verification of Academic Minor/Certificate form approved:
- Online course descriptions are posted on the Department’s website every semester prior to every registration period. These descriptions provide details written by the instructors about the courses being offered and are very helpful when selecting courses.
- All UH Mānoa courses applied to the English minor must come from English Department or cross-listed courses. Appropriate upper-division transfer credits may also apply toward the minor.
- Only one 300 or 400-level course designated as “large enrollment” (maximum enrollment of 60) may count toward the minor
- Courses with final grades of C- or lower cannot fulfill minor requirements