We hold three literary contests every Spring semester: the Stephen C. Stryker & William H. Stryker Award for Fiction, the Patsy Sumie Saiki Award for Fiction, and the Academy of American Poets award. We also have three creative writing award categories: Myrle Clark Awards, Ernest Hemingway Undergraduate Awards, and the Abernethy Scholarship. All prizes and awards are judged by creative writing faculty, and range from $1000 to $50. Students are also recognized at our annual English Department reception.
The Patsy Sumie Saiki Award for Fiction is given to the best short story by a University of Hawai’i student (First Prize: $1000, Second Prize: $250, and Third Prize: $100).
The Academy of American Poets Prize is given to the best poem or series of poems by a University of Hawai’i student (First Prize: $100).
The Stephen C. & William H. Stryker Award for fiction is given for best short story by a University of Hawai’i at Mānoa student (Prize: $500).
The Robbie Shapard Short-Short Story Prize (First Prize: $250, Second Prize: $50)
The Richard Hamasaki Prize for Oral & Spoken Poetics (amount TBD)
The Ernest Hemingway Undergraduate Awards are given to outstanding undergraduate writers in poetry and fiction.
The Myrle Clark Awards are given to outstanding undergraduate and graduate students nominated by creative writing Faculty.
The Grace K. J. Abernethy Creative Writing Award is given to an outstanding continuing M.A. student in creative writing.
(See also the Kuykendall Creative Writing Noticeboards – 4th & 5th Floors)
University of Hawai‘i Awards
The 2010 Patsy Sumie Saiki Award for Fiction
For best short story by a University of Hawai‘i student
- 1st place: Donovan Colleps, “The Noble Savages”
- 2nd place: Kenrick Yoshida, “Contractual Monsters”
- 3rd place: Eric Birkeland, “Beached”
- Heidi Ainsworth, “The Pali’s Sunny”
- Gina Kanekoa, “Don’t Change Down There”
- Beverly Webb, “My Cousin Haouli”
The 2010 Academy of American Poets Prize
- Eric Birkeland, “Elysium and other poems”
- Matthew Izor, “Darling Megalopolitan and other poems”
2010 Abernethy Creative Writing Scholarship
- Kelsie Kehaulani Abing
- Eleanor Svaton
Here is a link to previous scholarship requirements.
The Stephen C. Stryker & William H. Stryker Prize for Creative Writing 2010
- Eric Birkeland, “Memory Painting”
2010 Ernest Hemingway Undergraduate Awards
Awarded to the most outstanding student(s) in the undergraduate creative writing program in fiction and poetry.
- Eric Birkeland
2010 Myrle Clark Awards
Awarded to outstanding undergraduate and Masters students in the creative writing concentration.
- Marcus Au Young
- Peter Forman*
- Gina Kanekoa
- Cheri Nagashima
- Chris Sako
- Aiko Yamashiro*
Some of the qualifications for the Myrle Clark Creative Writing Awards:
- student must be a currently registered student
- student can be an undergraduate or MA student but not a PhD student
- a faculty member nominates a student
- a student is chosen for an award based on faculty recommendation and a writing sample
- the amount of the award and the number of awards given is based on the amount of funds available in a particular year
- 2010 Awards Poster
- 2009 Awards Poster
- 2008 Awards Poster
- 2007 Awards Poster
- 2006 Awards