ENGLISH 463 (01) (DA,WI): Studies in Film (Survey of Contemporary East Asian Cinema) (03) (TR 10:30-11:45) – Gary Pak
This class will take a broad overview in the study and understanding of the phenomenal development and growth of East Asian cinema from after WWII to the present; more specifically, it will view and discuss and analyze these films via historical, political, social and cultural issues that have governed the content and form of this cinema. In addition to the course readings, you will be required to view at least one full-length film each week of the course from a list provided, which will include films from China (PRC), Hong Kong, Japan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea and Taiwan. Students will also explore film sub-genres, such as horror, sci-fi, martial arts, pinku eiga, anime and manga, samurai, yakuza, hanyu, video games, etc.
- 3 movie reviews of approx. 300 words each.
- 2 essays of approx. 1,000 words each
- essay midterm and final exams
- excellent attendance and class participation
Required course texts:
- James Monaco, How to Read a Film (3 ed. or 4 ed.)
- David Carter, East Asian Cinema