ENGLISH 413 (01) (DL,W): FICTION FORM & THEORY (03) (MW 11:30-12:45) – Gary Pak
The main focus in this course will be writing the short story. To begin, we will study the structure of what makes good fiction.
Assignments and Activities:
• reading and analyzing (as a writer would) a selection of published short fiction
• writing rough drafts of at least five short stories, each to be submitted to a workshop
• polishing two of the five short stories written for the class (each, a minimum length of 1,500 words or approximately 6-10 manuscript pages)
Also required are active participation in class discussion and excellent attendance.
• Wolff (ed.), The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Short Stories
• Wood, How Fiction Works (Picador)
• Other materials will be distributed as .pdf files on Laulima.
Texts will be available for purchase at the UHM bookstore or can be ordered at AbeBooks.com.