The main focus in this course will be writing the short story.
Assignments and Activities:
- reading and analyzing (as a writer would) a selection of published short fiction
- writing rough drafts of at least five short stories, each to be submitted to a workshop
- polishing two of the five short stories written for the class (each, a minimum length of 1,500 words or approximately 6-10 manuscript pages)
Also required are active participation in class discussion and excellent attendance.
- Wolff (ed.), The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Short Stories
- Daley (ed.), The World’s Greatest Short Stories(Dover Thrift Edition).
- Other materials will be distributed as .pdf files on Laulima.
Texts will be available for purchase at Revolution Books.